Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

What I Learned from a Stapler


It's spring break and I have to work, so my son is with me here in my office. He was watching "Shrek, the Musical" (don't ask) on Netflix, but came and started playing with the stapler. Probably not my best parenting decision ever, but I like the little guy to explore his surroundings and figure out how things work. 


The next thing I know, he has lodged a staple deep into his finger and is panicking. He is partly calm looking at the finger, but tears are coming down his cheeks. When I go to remove it, he freaks, and wiggles, and won't let me touch it. 


Even though I tried to reassure him "it wouldn't be that bad", and "it would only take a second", he would not stop panicking when I tried to go for it. It was definitely an awkward moment for me as a parent. I tried to just hold him down and take it out, but that was a little crazy, so I tried reasoning. But it didn't help much. 

As we are locked in this stalemate, staple in finger, not moving, tears rolling, our property manager, an older gentleman, walks in. Comes right over, says "what do we have here?" Looks at the finger, says "hey, what's that over there?" (Son is completely silent and calm by the way right now). Next thing you know, the staple is out. Finger is bleeding. No tears. Just the end of an frightening altercation between a boy and a piece of office equipment.

I feel bad about it. Maybe I should have helped him walk through it more calmly. Maybe I should have talked him through it like some sort of a "child whisperer". But I didn't. I didn't panic, but I definitely got frustrated when he wouldn't just trust me to help him.

Then it hit me. I wonder if this is how I look to God. I've got this thing stuck inside my life. A sharp dagger in my heart and soul. It hurts. Life hurts. I'm going through a difficult season. The staple is firmly inserted in me. God is beckoning, "come to me and I can get it out." But I resist. I panic. I cry out in desperation. All the while he is saying, "I'm here and I have got this. Trust me! You're in pain now, but it won't last forever! It will all be over soon and you will be in peace again! Let me help you!" 

Yet I insist on sitting and wallowing in my pain and misery instead of letting him help me. 

The frustration I felt towards the situation with my son is not there when God sees me. His love is patient and kind. He never gives up on offering his love and mercy to me and offering me his living water. 

The question is, will I sit still and surrender for him to help?

"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

Matt. 11:28

Thinking... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!