Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

3 Reasons to Let God Love You



I'm not stupid. Well, let me rephrase that- I'm not stupid enough to think that everyone believes in God. I myself am unfortunately a skeptic of all things by nature, and have been skeptical of God at times too. You can either choose to base your life on the world view that there is a God- a supreme being, or you can choose to believe there's not. Whatever approach you take, I'm of the belief that there is a God who created all life. I also believe, unlike Westboro Baptist Church, that he is a God of love.

I can't deny that I have a heart that needs love. For a woman, love is as important as the air we breathe. Without love a woman can't focus, succeed, or even live. Unfortunately, we live in a fallen world. There's extreme neglect, violence and abuse that happens every day. We will inevitably find our hearts in relationships that leave us broken. No matter how good of a man we have in our lives, he will somehow let us down at least every so often. So what do we do with this heart that needs love, but struggles to find it? The Bible is the word of God. When we read it, we hear from him and he can speak to our hearts. I'm going to give you three reasons why you should let God in to your heart, and let him love you.

God's love will never stop.

Relationships today end for any number of reasons; Love grows stale, it fades, hearts harden. This is not the case with the love of God for his children. No matter what we do God will still love us. There is absolutely nowhere you could go or no crime you could commit that would make God say, "Eh, I'm done with you." Look at this verse,

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears fortoday nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.
Romans 8:37-39

The book in the bible called Romans, was written by a guy named Paul. Before he changed his name to Paul and started following Jesus, he hated Christians. His name was Saul and Christians were afraid of him because he would pursue persecution for any of Jesus' followers. So, If God can love that guy, he can love us. He says that nothing can separate us from God's love. God has always been and will always been. He says,

“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.
Jeremiah 31:2-4

2. God's love isn't based on your looks. You don't have to be a sex-pot, or a stud.

As a woman, I get so tired of trying to be enough. I'll admit it, I'm an occasional striver. It's horrible! Sometimes, I know I'm enough. That God loves me just the way I am, and that he is working in my heart and making me more like him. Sometimes I realize my beauty comes from being his daughter, and sometimes, I don't. I'll admit there have been times I've thought that if I was only skinnier, or bustier, or kinder, that I would be loved more- but that's not what God's love is based on. Once, God sent a man named Samuel to pick the next king of Israel. He went to a man named Jesse, and began to look over Jesse's sons for who would be most appropriate. Samuel saw that the sons of Jesse were strong but God kept telling Samuel he didn't want any of them to be the next king. Instead, God picked Jesse's youngest son, a shepherd named David. While Samuel was pondering this God said,

7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him( the other sons). The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

God also says this about trying to pursue beauty at all costs,

Proverbs 31:30
New Living Translation (NLT)

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.

That's comforting to know. God looks at my heart. He isn't going to look down and say, "Jessie, you are looking a bit pudgy today, therefore I will withhold my affection from you." If you want a love that will look beyond your appearance, and see YOU- God's love is it.

3. God loves us as our father.

A lot of us have grown up with strained relationships with our dads. As women, it can either make or break us to have a dad in our life who is there for us and teaches us about men and love. Statistics say about %40 of children grow up in "fatherless" homes. If you never knew your dad, or have a strained relationship with your dad, there is still a chance for you to have the Father-child relationship you were intended to.

God is our heavenly father.

Romans 8:15
New Living Translation (NLT)

15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.”

2 Corinthians 6:18
New Living Translation (NLT)

18 And I will be your Father,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”

There are countless verses in the bible naming God as our father. I also know that God is perfect. That means he will never lose him temper and hurt my heart. He will take care of me. He will protect and provide like a father should.

Like the song says, "There's a God-shaped hole in all of us, and the restless soul is searching..it's a void only he can fill." I've tried to fill the hole in my heart with other things, but only the love of God can fill it. Maybe you're not sure about the whole Christian thing, or even the whole God thing. All I'm saying is in the bible, a love is promised from someone who delivers. On time, every time. He won't let you down or stand you up. He won't beat you down or leave you broken. Check him out. Maybe even, let him love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!