Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chicken Drama- My Thoughts on the Chick-Fil-A Saga

Am I the only one who feels this has all gotten a bit out of hand?


It all started when Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy told a Baptist newspaper that his company operated on "biblical principles" and were supportive of the biblical definition of the family unit. What followed was a huge uproar from same-sex activists who saw Cathy's comments as hate speech filled with discrimination. 


I've watched as everyone has argued on social media, through blogs, Facebook, Twitter and even television news coverage. It's like a snowball rolling down the hill. First the comments were made, then there was the negative reaction to them, then people decided they wanted to boycott the restaurant with mayors of Chicago and Boston both openly saying that they didn't want any more of the popular chain popping up in their cities. Facebook groups were created called, "Support Chick-Fil-A", and then the real whopper came yesterday when I heard that there will also be a "Same Sex Kiss Day" where people will meet across the country and kiss a partner of the same sex on a Chick-Fil-A restaurant property. 


My thoughts are as follows..


Really?


First of all, what Cathy voiced was his viewpoint. The issue of gay marriage is just that, an issue or a topic. When a topic is discussed such as abortion, gun control, legalization of marijuana or anything else, people will have different viewpoints on the topic. 


What the gay community wants is tolerance, and I understand that, even though I don't support or agree with their position, I will tolerate it. I will not hate them, or say anything hateful about or to them because they have a human right to an opinion even though it may differ with my own. If asked to vote on said issue I would follow my opinions and make my choice based on what I believe. Part of being a respective part of society is that you respect each other's rights to individual opinions. 


I do think we should see the same courtesy for people who are on the other side of the issue as well. Where is the tolerance from the gay community? I'm a little confused as to how you can ask for tolerance, even demand it, but then refuse to give it. 


All this whole thing seems to have done to me is divide our country more. We are even more at each other's throats due to our differences of opinion. That is all we ever do as a country- disagree with one another and then claim that the disagreeing party is stupid, intolerant, prudish, close minded, or flat out wrong.


When did it become wrong to disagree? 


That is one of the things that makes life beautiful is that not everyone is just like you or me.  


Honestly, I don't even want to go out to the "Support Chick-Fil-A" day, because I just feel like that adds fuel to the fire. Hypes up the "us and them" mentality. That we have to go support on this day and we have to go attack for our rights on this day! All it does is divide us  as a people more and more.


I say have your opinions about Gay marriage. Take your stand. If questioned what you believe, feel free to tell. However, if someone doesn't agree with you, don't take up arms against them, instead respond with peace, compassion, and acceptance for them as a person. 


No one deserves to be rejected even if we don't agree with how they live their lives. 


What do you think?
Tell me about it in the comments below.. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!