Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

My Post Superbowl Sex Rant



WARNING: 
What you are about to read is a rant from a women who has a viewpoint on sex that may be different from yours. 

Alright, 
so I almost ranted on my Facebook status update, but I figured I would bring the rant here and at least give people the option to read it if they want instead of filling up their news feed. 
Because I am a great Facebook friend!

I thought the Superbowl was a good game, and I'm happy that the Ravens won.
 I'm also happy that Ray Lewis got to end his career with another victory!

A lot of people might read this post and think that I'm crazy or a prude, and I might just be 
both of those things. 

Let me just say that I love sex.
 I think it is a beautiful gift God created and gave to husbands and wives to build their intimacy, share and enjoy each other, and create life and family.
 I also think it is best to have it only in the context of a marriage.

 I can say this as someone who made a few wrong turns growing up and opened myself up to things I shouldn't have. 
I tried to create love, intimacy, and comfort for my soul by giving myself away sexually. 
It didn't work.

There is absolutely no reason to have sex before you are married. 
Yep. I said it.

Why would you give your entire self and a piece of your soul to someone you've only just met, or someone who may walk away from you? 

Sex shouldn't be a part of dating. 

Sex is a BIG deal. 
It's like the hugest deal ever.

The fact that it is so big should mean that we handle it with care.

The rationality behind people being promiscuous is that people like to feel good
Scratch that. 
People need to feel good.
And people will do things that feel good now at the risk of feeling bad later.

So, like I said, I love sex between married people!

But I have to say that I am not okay with the way sex is being served up to Americans these days by the media.

I thought the content of material they showed during the commercials last night during the Superbowl was highly sexual and uncalled for.

Almost every single commercial had some sort of sexual innuendo or image. 

There was the Go Daddy commercial that had a long french kiss drawn out with sound effects, there were bathing suit clad women jostling around, eating fish sandwiches, even the Best Buy commercial had sexual stuff in it! 

I guess products need to be sold by sex or they wont sell.

I literally had my hand over my six year-old son's eyes for the entire commercial break at times.

It makes me a little sad that he will grow up in a culture that will probably laugh at him for trying to be a virgin until marriage.

Then there was the halftime show.
 Beyonce is a great singer, that much is true.

 But why do we have to watch her shake her butt on television for entertainment? 

If she would have had some clothes on, I don't think it would have been that big of a deal, though she was very overtly trying to be "sexy".

 But she had basically clothes on that she should wear to bed at night with Jay-Z, not wear in front of the entire nation.

I really can't stand what the media is doing to sex. Sex is supposed to be beautiful, intimate and private.

 It is supposed to mean something.

It wasn't created as a marketing strategy, or something to be seen by everyone.
It's not something you should share with the world, or share with someone you aren't bonded to for life.

Sex is being grossly devalued.
 From music, to movies, to the popular culture. It is all about the pleasure. Get it how you want and when you want. 
Please yourself by having it with anyone you like at any time you like.
You've got needs!
Meet them by any means necessary!

But sex before marriage is pointless.

You say you need to "try your date on sexually" to see if you are compatible.

Okay, so lets say you have sex and you aren't compatible, so you move on. 
You won't be compatible with everyone, so you just keep opening yourself up again and again.
What if you're not compatible with 10 women in a row?

If a man is just having sex with a woman to fill his own pleasure needs, what is he doing to her? He is using her and she is letting him use her because she doesn't value herself the way she should.
The way God does.

If a man is genuinely giving a piece of his soul to each partner, shouldn't he limit the amount of pieces he breaks off of his soul and hands out?

Not to mention the effects that sexually charged media has on young people.

Young girls think that they should be doing what that girl on television is doing or they won't be wanted. They build up in their minds this mental checklist: 
okay I need to be tan, 
I need to be skinny, 
I need to make a "sexy face", 
I need to have a butt like that
 or boobs like that- 
then I'll be sexy and the guys will like me!

Not to mention the horrendous crap that some music influences women to become. 

It is definitely not the best for your life to be sticking drugs in private places for your rapper boyfriend.

That's just not a good idea.

And young men are having their minds trained to think that what they see on television is what real women look like. 
Then they wont be able to find satisfaction in a normal partner in real life and will put unrealistic expectations on their future wife.

Not to mention they are filling their minds with all these sexual images so young in life and it is putting desires in them for women and making them want to try to explore sexual things. 
This only leads to unplanned pregnancy, stds and broken hearts.

Is there really anyone that can say they benefited from a teenage sexual experience?

I really just am sad to see how America views sex.
The way they are showing it on television devalues it so greatly.

Every time you have sex it matters.
Your body is important.
Sex isn't just some fun thing to do or something pretty to look at on television.
And it's not just a means to an end.

I'm over it.

And I'm going to keep putting my hand over my son's eyes when there is sexual stuff on the TV, even though we are watching a "family" show.

When the time is right we will have "the talk".
I will tell him that one day he will get married and have an awesome sex life with his wife.

And I will do my very best to raise him in a way that keeps him from ruining that.


Disengage rant.


3 comments:

  1. So true! ..somehow I have always missed the part about it devaluing sex. Its SUCH a GIFT! Catching glimpses of it everywhere totally cheapsn it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Jessie. It is a shame that people miss out on the awesomeness of marriage sex. So much better than casual sex. I do have a question but I will message you so others don't feel the need to form opinions of me w/o knowing me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support guys. It's not that I think sex is wrong. I think it is right, but being misused!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to add? Cool!