Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Beautiful, Beautiful Abstinence


"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11

As a confused young girl I saw sex as a way to get love and approval from men. I also saw it as a way to let loose and have fun. To indulge your passions and be as free and wild as life allowed you to be. At that age I was in a place where I wanted to do some of the worst things possible to spite whomever it was that was trying to put limits on my freedom.

Fast forward through the heartache, a teenage pregnancy, a spiritual awakening, and you get me today.
A 23 year old mother and wife who has a very different set of views on sexual intimacy.

When I see young girls starting to awaken as women, all I want to tell them is PLEASE, be abstinent. I want to scream it at them. Yell it to them from the mountain.

*Ahem! All young women in the local area! Don't waste your time looking for anything in sex before marriage! Outside of a committed lifetime relationship with your future husband, sex is a waste. A waste of your life, time, heart, soul. A waste of a perfect gift.

 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. Genesis 2:24

God created sex. It's not a dirty subject. It's beautiful. It's to create a family, to enjoy your other half, to build a bond. To become not two, but one. If you become one with 15 other people, you are going to be pretty badly broken up at the end.

If I could tell anything to young girls thinking about sex I would tell them just to take it off the table. Stop thinking that it is something you should do or have to do because it is what you're supposed to do at this age.

Your body is beautiful, sacred, and special. You shouldn't give it up to everyone and anyone who comes knocking and says they think you're pretty. You should wait until a man decides he wants to make you his FOR LIFE before you decide to let him have you.

But why ladies? Why do we give ourselves away? Is it because we want to know love? Deep down are we looking for more than just the temporary pleasure? Are we yearning for something but not quite sure what it is?

I'll tell you what wont fill that void. Having a lot of sex.

Just wait. Wait wait. Wait x 100.

When I was younger I thought abstinence was for weird nerd loser Christians.. (yes, all of those adjectives.) Now I think it is the coolest thing ever. To have that much respect for your body and for God that you would reserve yourself for one man or one woman when the time is right. It is beautiful. Anyone who tells you it's stupid, or prudish, or that you should explore needs to mind their own business.

What should you explore? Opening yourself up to not only physical disease and illness, but spiritual breakdown when your relationship fails? What if you create a family with the WRONG person? You will be stuck in baby mama drama and give yourself a whole world of stress.

Sex. Is. For. Married. People. There is a time for everything under the sun.

Do two year old kids go to college?
Do adults in their 40's wear baby clothes, diapers, and eat baby food? (they shouldn't, for the record!)

Wait until the time comes for you to enjoy sex with your husband or wife. There is a warning in the Song of Solomon that I always thought was SO SO true. 

The Song of Solomon is a book in the Bible that tells the story of a new bride and groom. The bride is telling all of the young girls who stare at her and her new husband's relationship with jealous eyes, dreaming they would be there too some day,

"Do not awaken love until the time is right." Song of Solomon 8:4
So enjoy being a young woman, or a young man for that matter. Enjoy being single and having no commitments. Respect your body enough to know its value. Don't rush to awaken that passionate love with every girlfriend or boyfriend you have. Let love awaken when the time is right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!