Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

What I Learned About Greener Grass

The names and identities of people or locations have been purposefully left out of this blog to protect names and identities of people and locations. While I intend this blog to provide satirical humor and enjoyment for the reader, I do not intend to offend anyone. If you know who these people or locations are, please do not mention their names in any comments. Thanks!


I'm an interesting person. At least, I think so. One of the things that makes my life so interesting- to me- is the variety of situations that I have a tendency to get myself into. Take this last six months for example.


     Once upon a time I was working part-time as a Secretary for a church. The job was great! It provided the things that my family and I needed (security, pay, convenience, flexibility), while giving me time to do things I needed as a mom. I even was allowed to bring my son along some days. However, I grew bored with it. I would spend a lot of my time alone and began to think that the work I was doing wasn't making that much of a difference in the world. I began to tell myself that I wasn't doing what I was made to do- whatever that was. Anyways, I got it in my head that I should be doing something else with my life. Then I began to feel the seething itch of discontentment. Maybe you can relate?
     Sometimes, something in our lives is JUST FINE, but we get it into our heads that it should be different and then we find ourselves unable to be satisfied. Well, people told me I was crazy for wanting to leave that job. But, being on my mission to change the world, I decided to quit. I had always wanted to work with kids so I applied for positions at the local schools. When an interview went great but I didn't get hired for a receptionist position, I became desperate! I wanted to work in a school at all costs! (Poor dear. So determined. On such a mission to free myself from the chains of sameness, and move into the big world of changing lives each day!)
     I took a position at a school working as an Adult Support person. I had visions of me sitting at a table with at-risk kids, teaching them lessons about life and helping to bestow a love a learning upon them. Definitely had the rose colored glasses on! Well the job was great at first, but, long story short, being cursed at, kicked, hit, threatened, and berated by a seven year-old became part of my job description.Things as well as tempers would fly. It was an interesting and volatile, yet tender situation. Even though I enjoyed being around the kids, the stress and financial strain of the job began to take it's toll on my family and eventually my husband asked me to find a different job. I worked at the school for about four months. It was extremely painful to leave the position, because I had deeply grown to love my time with the children and other staff members.
     And so my job hunt began. I began looking for a part-time job, with flexibility, security, good pay, that would be convenient for my family. Something that would not take a stressful toll on me each day and would allow me time to do what I do best- take care of my family(does this sound familiar? Stop me if you know where this is going!) Luckily, after what seemed like 90,000 resumes emailed to various local companies, way too much time on the computer, and several failed attempts to be scammed(thanks Craigslist!), I was lucky to find another job in the dental field! A field I had not necessarily enjoyed working in, but at this point, I was desperate to find a job to put some money in the bank.
     Well, the dentist I took up employment for had a bad reputation. His office was known as a miserable place to work and he was not known to be a great boss, but hello! I'm Jessie. Everyone loves me. There would be no way that he wouldn't notice the love of Jesus just radiating through my bubbly life, smile, and aura, and he would be blessed to have me as an employee! Who could resist this loving charm and effortless beauty?

WRONG! Apparently- he could.

     The first day, I got into my car, and cried like a baby. Sobbed. Wailed... All that was missing was a diaper. I felt so defeated! I had gotten myself and my family into this mess and now was working a job that I hated with no foreseeable end in sight.This guy was definitely all his reputation claimed him to be. Rude, annoying, disrespectful, and what was worse, he seemed to hate me and be disappointed with me from the start! Sheesh. So much for that! I worked as best I could, trying to keep a smile on, and honestly, trying not to cry as he would be... well .. a jerk each day. I wish I could say that I was more tough, there are a few tough bones in my body, but when it comes to stuff like this.. I'm not that tough. I more so just cry and become offended that someone would be mean.. I mean, how dare he? Meanness is so..... mean!
The next week I came in and saw another girl following him around in my position. I wondered, could it be? Could he be hiring someone to replace me since he seems to hate me so much? I prayed a silent prayer..


God..

Oh God..
Please let him fire me.


You see, my husband didn't want me to quit until I found something else first, so I had most definitely been trapped in his web of poor office cleanliness, rudeness, and angst. He asked me to come into the back room. The words he spoke were music to my sad ears! "It's just not going to work out for us." I gathered myself and with a smile said, "You're absolutely right." He was taken aback and said, "Well, ok!"

Yes.. well, ok INDEED!
     I left the office.. crying yet again, but this time it was tears of relief! Thanks God. Now I needed to find another job. As I searched the web, I decided to email the woman from the church who had been my replacement when I left. Just to let her know that if she, for whatever reason, decided to leave the greatest job ever, the one I myself had left, would she please contact me. As you can tell, at this point, I've learned a lesson. At night my mind would wander. Why can't I just go back to the church? Why, Oh WHY did I leave such a great job! I know.. maybe I'll just go there tomorrow and pretend like that never even happened. Yeah, that will work! No, you idiot it's over! (There is a lot of self loathing going on in there if you haven't noticed). Well, she replied that she would keep that in mind. Essentially, whatever you say crazy lady.

Sigh.

    Later on, I saw her in Publix and she let me know that her husband needed a receptionist and she had actually been considering leaving the position! It was too good to be true, but I told her once again, to keep me in mind. Two weeks later, I got the call that she had resigned. When my old boss called me to discuss the position, I tried very hard not to beg him to bring me back. Why did I leave something so great in search of something greater? I am not exactly sure why. Now I see this job with new eyes. I'm much more thankful for it and I see it in such a better light now. I can't wait to begin from today (my first day back) to be more thankful for this blessing and to try to apply the lessons I've learned from this whole experience.

Er, Um.. In a nutshell. Here are some cliche words that sum up what I've learned.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. It's the greenest where you water it.

You really can make the best out of any situation.


You don't know what you've got until it's gone.


Be thankful for what you have and appreciate your blessings.

Be content.



Don't act hastily. 



Lesson learned.


Sincerely Yours,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!