Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

God grant me...

God grant me the serenity 

to accept the things I cannot change; 

courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; 

Enjoying one moment at a time; 

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life 
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr
Adulthood brings the realization that life isn't as perfect as you remember from childhood. Of course, some people have childhoods that are horrible, and that is one of the greatest tragedies.
But it seems like most people go through childhood relatively unaware of the war that rages on for millions of people everywhere.
At least that is how it was for me as a kid. Not until my parents divorce did I really experience anything painful. Anything worth crying about. Maybe I was about 10 when that happened. I don't know.

Lately, my son has been sick. We have spent more time in the hospital than I ever have before. It has been the worst possible experience I've ever endured in my life. And it is an ongoing battle that threatens to continue. Threatens to try to make war with my very life and soul.
 Yet, it has brought me deeper and closer to real life than I have ever been.
Pleasure really isn't the greatest gain in this life. At the highest peaks of pleasure, you may feel something wonderful, but if you stay there, you will fall asleep.
Something I'm learning now more than ever is that to feel, is to be human, is to be alive! Though we might wish that pain would avoid our lives, it won't. There is no way to avoid pain, just like there is no way to avoid growing older. It is something unavoidable.
Lately, I'm having to choose how I will handle this pain we have all been going through as a family.
I feel that the best way is to walk through the serenity prayer.
God, help me accept what can't be changed due to the world in which we live.
Give me courage to live each day with hope, enjoying my life and my family, no matter what the circumstances.
Help me know that YOU can bring joy, growth, and beauty from the darkest and most painful times.
Help me replace fear with faith and trust.
Because some things are indeed out of our control.
Give me peace so that I can survive each day, knowing that my future with you will more than make up for any present pain that I will have to endure. And let me trust that you will never leave me no matter how hard things get.
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!