Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

The Art of Parenting





Have you ever seen a piece of mosaic art? They usually are colored and can be made of stone, glass, pottery or other materials. What they all have in common is that they are made up of many tiny pieces that combine to make a beautiful whole.


In many ways the mosaic is a metaphor for our lives. Many different individuals combine to make up families, neighborhoods, communities, nations and ultimately, our Earth.



But if we look deep within, we are all mosaics. We all are made up of many, many, small moments. Events, memories, thoughts, growth, tragedies, people who helped us along the way. Lots of little pieces make up who we are as a person. We are never one dimensional as human souls.


I've been thinking a lot lately about my parenting style and wanting to give it an upgrade. I don't want to be what is considered a "drive by" or "tag-a-long" parent. I want to be involved. I'm well aware how much of a responsibility raising a little man is and I want to raise the best man. I want him to be like a little mosaic, taking little bits of this and that as he grows from me and this world and turning into a beautiful mosaic of a man.


Yet, if I want him to be generous, I must model what it's like to not be greedy or materialistic. If I want him to be kind and loving, even to the least of people, I too must be. Little things I do, things I expose him to, teach him, model for him, will make up who he becomes.


Some of the pieces I want to be a part of his mosaic are...


Love for others, for country, for God, for self.


Peace in his heart, respect, gentleness, bravery, chivalry, kindness, charity, generosity, faithfulness, honor, character, independence, self-respect, self-confidence, initiative, courage, and selflessness just to name a few.


I also want him to be who HE is. Smart, silly, wild, rough, and intuitive.


He and I together can put lots of tiny pieces in place to make him all that he can be. It's difficult. None of the pieces can just be placed. They must be learned. He must be molded by them.


A lot of times I'm not even half of that list. But I want to be. And I want him to see that in me and want to become it. It's all a part of being aware of your moment in life. Who you are, and who your web is intertwined with, and giving your all for those people.


Being a parent is a lot like being an artist. I need my hand to get a little more steady, but I'm willing to learn. I want the quality of my work to be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!