Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Thoughts about Rap and Christianity


The music known as "Rap" and I have an interesting past.

I was brought up in a christian home and my mother closely monitored the music that I listened to. I can't say I remember the first time I heard rap music , but I remember that I liked it. Something about it was very real to me. It drew me in. My mother did not want me to listen to the rap music that my friends listened to as it wasn't really appropriate for my age and the content of the lyrics was mostly sex, drugs, violence and other stuff that kids don't need to think about.


Now this type of rap music I'm talking about isn't the fun, upbeat, hip hop that you can listen to at a family gathering. I'm talking about the profanity laced, sensuality dipped, drug and violence glorifying rap. THAT rap is the rap I used to listen to when my mother wasn't looking.

As I got older and grew more and more rebellious, rap music fed my rebellion, and we grew to be very good friends. As I picture my early teenage years, and all the stupid, selfish, self-destroying things that I did, I can hear a soundtrack of dirty lyrics bouncing over a hip hop beat playing loudly in the background. I can see myself in that party dancing provocatively to that song about sex, trying to get the attention of that guy who wouldn't value me for who I truly was. A guy who would use me and abuse me and only add to the place of insecurity I was currently in. I can see myself smoking weed with chopped and screwed music playing in the background as I realized that this was the best I could feel with all the pain I was carrying. Blitzed out I guess you could call it. Numb.

Hurting people relate to rap. It gives them an outlet, and a roaring voice to be heard. It says, "this is me, who I am, who I was, who I will forever be." "I'm okay with me and I don't care if you're not!" "This is how I live." I'm not sure why most rap music and the artists who create it seem to have no apparent morals, though I could probably guess it has something to do with their past, or maybe their desire to make money at any cost.

Because in my experience, selling and doing drugs, having sex with random people in an attempt to glorify yourself and bring yourself pleasure, and acting in a generally violent manner with no respect for authority are BAD things. Things that will not bring you glory, fame, or the wealth you think you want, and things that will ultimately hurt you rather than help you.

When I met Jesus, my life changed. The hurts of my past and the blows my childhood had dealt me slowly began to be bandaged up. I didn't need the outlet of rap anymore. And frankly, I couldn't stand the lyrics anymore. I had been given a life of value, purpose, and worth in Jesus. How could I just go back to that level of not caring about life anymore? I couldn't! So, very sadly and gradually, I had to part ways with rap.

About a year ago I stumbled upon a rapper named Lecrae. He was a rapper who just so happened to be a Christian too. Now I had tried this "Christian rap" a time before and found it corny, stupid, and lame. I know that's harsh, but it was just how I felt about it. However, something about Lecrae was very real and genuine, so I listened more.

What God is doing through Lecrae is awesome. He is opening the door to anyone and saying, "Come and hear the truth." God's word can be delivered to people, hurting people, effectively through music. It doesn't matter the type. When Lecrae speaks the words he does about God and his faith, I feel like I can be a Christian and a lover of rap at the same time. This rap is what rap was meant to be. Self expressive, flavorful, passionate, a catchy beat that moves your soul as well as your body, and full of emotion.

 I can't keep quiet about Lecrae, Trip Lee, Flame, and the other rappers I've discovered over the past few years. Their content is clean, their message is uplifting, and they genuinely care about their listeners. I love that I can let rap back into my life and be uplifted rather than brought down again.

Here are links to a few songs you can check out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to add? Cool!